Georgia Cinnamon Pecan Monkey Bread
Monkey bread is one of those perfect holiday breakfasts that comes together in no time and disappears just as fast! With a sweet vanilla glaze and crunchy chopped pecans, this holiday treat is just as delicious as it is beautiful.
Whether you’re an experienced cook or just getting your feet wet, monkey bread (or pull-apart bread) is the perfect breakfast to wow your holiday guests without spending hours in the kitchen. We love using refrigerated canned biscuit dough to make this recipe. It’s a great shortcut that skips hours of kneading and rising time without sacrificing texture or flavor. But if you’re feeling more adventurous you can use homemade biscuit dough (we’ve added one at the bottom!) and begin the recipes at the cinnamon sugar coating.
Adding chopped salted pecans adds a lovely salty nutty bit to this bread. Other great mix-ins would be dried cranberries, orange zest, or other chopped nuts!
Georgia Cinnamon Pecan Monkey Bread Recipe
- 1-8 count can Refrigerated Biscuit Dough
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter, melted
- ½ cup light or dark Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Salted Pecan Pieces
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tbsp Butter, softened
- ½ tsp Clear Vanilla Extract
- 1-3 tbsp Milk
- Heat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, mix granulated sugar and cinnamon.
- Separate the biscuits and cut into quarters. Roll each piece in the cinnamon sugar mixture and arrange in the Georgia baking dish, sprinkling nuts throughout.
- In small bowl mix the melted butter and brown sugar and drizzle over the biscuit pieces. Bake for 30 minutes, then drizzle warm monkey bread with the glaze.
- To make the Glaze: Add the powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla to a bowl and whisk to combine. Add milk 1 tbsp at a time and continue to mix until desired consistency.
Scratch Biscuit Dough (optional)
- 3/4 cups Whole Milk, warmed to about 110°F (43°C)
- 1 tsp Dry Active Yeast
- 2 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 large Egg
- 2 tbsp Butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 ½ cups AP Flour
- Prepare the dough: Whisk the warm milk, yeast, and sugar together in small bowl and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, add the eggs, butter, salt, and 1 cup flour. Beat on low for 30 seconds, scrape down the sides, then add the rest of the flour. Turn the mixer to medium and continue to beat until the dough becomes elastic. Alternately, you can use a large bowl and wooden spoon to mix (and also work on your upper arm muscles!) Knead the dough by hand or in the mixer for about 2 minutes.
- Lightly coat a large bowl with oil. Add the dough to the oiled bowl and turn a few times to coat. Cover the bowl with a towel and let rise in a warm draft-free room for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down to release the air and begin tearing off pieces of dough and rolling them into balls about 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter. Continue the monkey bread recipe at step two above (rolling each ball in cinnamon sugar).
Leave a comment