This Green Chile Queso Quiche is sure to get your holiday brunch started with a kick!
The chile is an essential ingredient in any true New Mexico recipe and we made sure to include them in the form of green Hatch chilis. The chile pepper is indigenous to North America and can be either green or red depending on when they are picked. The presence of the chile pepper in recipes in the area can be traced back to the Pueblo peoples who originally inhabited the land and cultivated the chile. Over the years, Spanish, Mexican, and Anglo influences have shaped the culinary landscape making it what it is today. In the Land of Enchantment state, you can find red or green chile with your eggs, enchiladas, hamburgers, or even your pizza! But if you can’t afford a trip to New Mexico, try bringing the state to you with this New Mexico quiche.
In true New Mexico fashion, we made this quiche with the beloved green Hatch chile and gave it a bit of breakfast flare with chorizo, queso fresco, and of course, a silky egg custard filling. This quiche is spicy in all the right ways with a hint of creamy cheese to soften the flavors. As for the crust? We don’t shy away from a homemade pie crust, but if you are short on time or just want a quick option, frozen pie crust works beautifully in this recipe.
Recipe for Green Chile Queso Quiche
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 60 min
- 6 oz chorizo beef sausage
- 1 pre-made pie crust, or your favorite crust recipe
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup half n’ half
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded quesadilla cheese, divided
- 2 Tbsp hatch green chiles, canned or jarred
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. In a medium skillet fry the chorizo over medium heat until browned, breaking up the pieces with a wooden spoon. Drain off any excess fat and set aside.
- Press the pie crust into the New Mexico baking dish and crimp over the edges. Place the dish on a baking sheet and chill while you prepare the filling.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs, half n’ half, and salt until combined. Stir in half of the cheese, then pour into the prepared pie crust. Top with the cooked sausage, remaining shredded cheese, and extra green chiles if desired.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the center is set. Slice and serve hot!